Free delivery on UK mainland orders over £30 | International Delivery £20
April 12, 2019
Here at the Michael Van Clarke Salon we have helped generations of clients better understand the changes pregnancy brings to their hair, and to help them look their best through and after childbirth.During pregnancy most women will notice their hair becoming fuller, shinier and more vibrant. This is thanks to various surges in oestrogen and other pregnancy hormones. Blood volume also rises during pregnancy by as much as 50% which helps keep the scalp nourished.In the normal hair growth cycle, 50-100 hairs are lost every day. This may seem scary if you are hunting through your brushes and shower tray because you are conscious and worried about it, but it is normal. Generally, around 80-90% of your hair is in the growth phase (Anagen) of its life cycle, but the hormonal changes during pregnancy hold more hairs in the growth or resting phase (Catagen) of the cycle. As a result, most women enjoy thicker hair during pregnancy, because the shedding part of the cycle (Telogen) is delayed.
All hair has a life cycle. The 3 distinct phases are:
This is the resting phase of the hair follicle. During telogen, the resting hair stays in place until pushed out by growth of a new hair. When the body is subjected to extreme stress or shock, up to 70 percent of hair can prematurely enter the telogen phase and begin to fall, causing a noticeable loss of hair.
For eyebrows and lashes the cycle is completed in around 4 months, while it takes the scalp 2-8 years to finish. Eyebrow hairs grow shorter because the cycle repeats more quickly compared to scalp hair.
1. Get a good haircutThis will make styling much easier. Adjusting the shape can make up for less hair. If a lot of hair has been lost around the hairline an A-Line haircut may exaggerate this. Graduation or even a fringe may be a better solution.
2. Go easy on the stylingIf your styling routine is a little on the harsh side this may be a good time to go gentle. Speak to your hairdresser about better techniques that use sensitivity with precision. Usually, less is more. Take more care with any heat styling. See our coming blogs on Dryer Danger and Safer Styling.
Aggressive brushing can also accelerate the thinning and breakage. Use our No.1 Brush by 3’’’More Inches as this is the professionals first choice for gentle detangling and styling.
3. Eat wellInclude a variety of healthy proteins, fruits and vegetables in your diet to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs. Foods that also help healthy hair growth include; fish, eggs, sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach, beans, asparagus, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and blueberries.
4. Use the best productsOur 3’’’More Inches LifeSaver Pre-wash Treatment, is the hero treatment for everyone, at all times. But especially when hair is thinner and more fragile this will plump up the volume and give protection shine and flexibility.
3’’’More Inches Cashmere Protein Shampoos & Conditioners will all boost hair health. The 3’’’More Inches Volumising range will add body to finer softer hair types and the 3’’’More Inches Moisturising range helps smooth and control thicker, coarser or chemically treated hair.
5. Take your vitaminsVitamin supplements shouldn’t be a substitute for a varied diet, but can help those with an unbalanced regime. Vitamins and minerals are vital for overall health. Biotin is especially important to keep the hair healthy post pregnancy because it functions in the synthesis of hair proteins like keratin. Lack of biotin has also been associated with hair breakage, hair loss, and brittle nails. 3’’’More Inches Hair & Nails Nutrients has an award-winning advanced formula of essential vitamins and minerals to support general wellbeing with an emphasis on brighter, stronger, healthy hair and nails. It’s especially suited to vegans as it also provides significant levels of iron and Vitamin B12.
July 05, 2019
June 25, 2019
June 07, 2019
Sign up to our newsletter
Sign up to get hair treatment tips and exclusive offers direct to your inbox.